What is the first thing you do when you meet a stranger or when you visit a brand-new store or call customer support? Read the store’s name, you ask their name, and you tell your name.
A blog title is just the name of the content piece. This name in my experience is the determining factor for a reader.
If your title is not good, chances are your content is not reaching the audience. The domino effect is huge, and I am here to help you get out of it.
In this blog, we will discuss:
- Why blogs need a good title
- What is measured in a good title
- Types of Blog titles
- How to write a good blog title
- How AI can be used for writing blog titles
Why Blogs Need a Good Title
Having a good title is necessary because it is the first thing someone looks at before starting to read the blog. That first impression needs to be created to hook the person to the blog.
What is measured in a Good Blog Title?
A great blog title needs to be a trifecta of readability, emotion, and SEO. Let’s break down each element:
- The title should be constructed in a way that it stands out among thousands of searches on the internet. One should get the intent of the blog immediately through your title.
- Aim for 5-8 words max, using simple language and avoiding jargon. Think of it like a mini-summary that instantly grabs the reader’s attention and tells them exactly what your post is about.
- Your emotions behind writing the blog should be made clear through your blog title. This will help readers to connect with your title and eventually read your blog.
- Use strong verbs, evocative adjectives, and power words to trigger an emotional response and make them want to click through to learn more.
· Search Engine Optimized
- To get your blog indexed by the Google search engine, the use of blog-related popular keywords is a must in your title. This will help your blog rank faster.
- Find a natural balance between readability and incorporating keywords.
By keeping these three elements in mind, you can craft blog titles that are irresistible to both readers and search engines. Here are some examples of titles that hit the mark:
Readability: “5 Steps to a Stress-Free Life”
Emotion: “The Biggest Secret to Unlocking Your Creativity”
SEO: “Ultimate Guide to SEO for Beginners”
A few of the things that are necessary to have in a good blog title are:
- First Impression: A good blog title will grab the reader’s attention and will compel him to be hooked on reading the blog. This leads to an increased number of clicks on your blog post.
- Reader’s Trust: When you deliver what you promise, it leads to an increase in trust levels. When you write a blog title based on your blog and it lets the readers know what to expect, the reader’s trust in your blog will eventually increase.
- Killing the competition: A good blog title will make your blog stand out from the competition and thus will attract more readers which in turn grows the number of clicks.
- Shares: Readers sometimes share blogs with others without even reading them If they see the title and get an idea of what to expect from this blog. If your blog has a good title, the number of shares will certainly increase.
Type of Blog Titles
The blog titles depend on the type of content you are writing or your audience. In general, these are a few commonly used types of blog titles:
- Statistical Titles: These titles are written based on statistical data from reports or surveys. For example: How the use of AI grew from 20% to 65% in the last 5 years
- News or Reporting Headlines: These types of headlines are usually constructed based on the news. This is written in such a manner that the reader gets the headline and if they want to follow the whole news, they can read the blog. For example: Google releases new AI Tool- Gemini
- How-to Titles: These titles are used in blogs where you explain how to do something. For example: How to get acquainted with Gemini AI
- Why Titles: These are used in blogs with reasoning. You construct these titles to use in blogs where you are answering questions, reasoning, or comparing two things. For example: Why is Google Bard so popular
- Best Titles: Titles starting with Best are used in blogs where you explain the best practices or try to provide the best of the categories. For example: Best AI tools for blog writing
- Controversial Titles: These titles are a bit different from the rest of the titles. They use more casual language and are used in blogs where you are trying to present your unique perspective about something. For example: Worst AI tools in 2023
- Question Titles: These types of titles are used to ask readers something and then compel them to know the answer which is written in the blog. For example: Do you know how to use AI for writing good blog posts?
Here is a table summarizing types of blog titles:
|How the use of AI grew from 20% to 65% in the last 5 years
|Data-driven readers, tech enthusiasts
|Use clear numbers and percentages, highlight surprising stats
|Google releases new AI Tool- Gemini
|Tech news followers, early adopters
|Concise, direct, mention key news item
|How to get acquainted with Gemini AI
|People new to AI, Gemini users
|Clear action verb, target specific tool or skill
|Why is Google Bard so popular?
|Curious readers, AI users
|Spark interest, raise a question, promise an answer
|Worst AI tools in 2023
|Tech-savvy readers, opinion-seekers
|Bold statement, generate curiosity, use humor carefully
|Worst AI tools in 2023
|Tech-savvy readers, opinion-seekers
|Bold statement, generate curiosity, use humor carefully
|Do you know how to use AI for writing good blog posts?
|Bloggers, content creators
|Trigger curiosity, offer solution in the post
How to Write a Good Blog Title
Writing a good blog title is very important and the title depends on the type of content of the blog. However, there are a few common points to keep in mind while writing a title:
- Stick to your topic: The blog title should be written strictly based on the topic of the blog. A mismatch can cause your blog to not reach the right audience. It will confuse the readers and they will start losing trust in your blogs.
- Put a sprinkle of emotions: Your blog title can have emotional language which helps you connect with your audience. Do not overdo the same or your title will become overwhelming.
- Count your words: The blog title should be long enough to showcase the intent of the blog but not too long. It should have 5 to 15 words.
- Describe the blog: The title should describe the intent of the blog and the reader should get an idea of what to expect from the blog and what key points could be discussed inside it. This will help increase your readers, clicks as well as shares.
- SEO your title: Use keywords in the title that are relevant to the blog. This will help your blog to be ranked and search engines will promote it and it will be visible to more and more people.
- Information to share: The titles should be written in such a way that they do not give out too much information but enough to grab attention and attract a reader.
How AI can be used for Writing a Blog Title
With the introduction of AI, there are several AI-powered tools for choosing a blog title. Here is a list of free AI title generators that will help writers choose their blog titles.
The first one in our list is SEMrush Free Title Generator: Powered by AI. SEMrush is the world’s leading keyword research tool. Now they have an AI title generator. It is free to use for anyone.
How to use SEMrush AI title generator?
Step 1: Go to the website: https://www.semrush.com/goodcontent/title-generator/
Step 2: Enter the topic or keyword for your blog. For this example, we have taken topic/keyword: Social Media Marketing
Step 3: SEMrush will generate blog titles under four categories: Listicles, Guides and how -to, Questions and other types.
From this list you can simply download or copy the titles you like to your document.
The second one in our list is Ahrefs free AI title generator. It is free to use by anyone and everyone. It gives unique titles that can be used to attract readers and engage them.
How does Ahrefs AI Title Generator work?
Step 1: Go to the website: https://ahrefs.com/writing-tools/seo-title-generator
Step 2: In the space provided you have to enter the topic or target keyword and decide the writing tone for the title. For this example we have taken Social Media Marketing as our topic/keyword. The writing tone of the title can be set choosing options from the drop down.
Step 3: Once set the results will be displayed which then can be copied and used in the blog. For this example we have chosen the writing tone to be ‘professional’. The results are displayed in four types of blog titles: How-tos, Listicles, Questions and Others.
Ryan Robinson is a US based blogger. On their official website you will find a free AI title generator among other free tools.
How to use Ryan Robinson Free AI title Generator?
Step 1: Go to the website: https://www.ryrob.com/blog-title-generator/
Step 2: Add the blog topic or keyword in the bar. The results can be copied or downloaded as a CSV file. For this example we have taken Social Media Marketing as the blog topic/keyword.
Frase.io is AI powered and can be used for generating content for blogs and articles. They also have a title generator which is free to use.
How to use Frase.io AI Title Generator?
Step 1: Go to the website: https://www.frase.io/tools/blog-title-generator/
Step 2: For this example we have taken Social Media Marketing as the topic/keyword. The options are displayed on the right side and more results can be generated if needed.
Other than these tools, AI tools like Bard and Chat GPT can also generate blog titles if you prompt them.
Titles Generated by Chat GPT
Titles Generated by Bard
In conclusion, your blog title is the first impression your content makes on the readers. It’s like the name tag at a networking event or the storefront window of a shop. If it’s bland or uninformative, you will be passed over for something more exciting. But if it’s clear, compelling and speaks directly to your target audience, you will hook their curiosity and draw them into your blog’s world.
A good title is more than just keywords and SEO. It’s about understanding your audience, tapping into their emotions, and promising them something valuable within your content. By following the tips in the blog and experimenting with different formats, you can craft titles that not only attract readers but also accurately reflect the quality and depth of your writing.
So next time, put your creativity and time into writing the title and experience the change.
Looking for content for your blog that clicks with your audience?
Then SEO Inventiv is your best option. We offer content writing, content marketing, blogger outreach and guest blogging services. Our team of writers are experienced wordsmiths and excel at SEO content and keyword research as well as competitor analysis. For more information and free consultations contact us here.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing blog titles?
There are a few common mistakes that people make when writing blog titles. Here are a few to avoid:
- Being too vague: Your title should give readers a good idea of what your blog post is about. Avoid titles like “My Thoughts on Things” or “Random Ramblings.”
- Being too clickbaity: Clickbait titles are designed to get people to click on your post, even if the content doesn’t live up to the hype. Avoid titles that are all caps, use excessive punctuation, or make promises that you can’t keep.
- Being too long: As I mentioned before, it’s best to keep your titles short and sweet. People are more likely to click on a title that is easy to read and understand.
- Not using keywords: If you want people to find your blog post in search engines, be sure to include relevant keywords in your title. However, don’t keyword stuff your title!
Can AI tools help write blog titles?
While AI tools can’t replace human creativity and understanding of your audience, they can help spark ideas and generate suggestions. Tools like SEMrush, Ahrefs, and even Bard can offer keyword suggestions, title formats, and variations to consider. However, remember that the final decision and responsibility for crafting the perfect title always rests with you.
Does blog title affect SEO?
SEO title and blog title can be the same, but sometimes they differ.
SEO title: Optimized for keywords and search engines, primarily used by backend code. Often shorter and keyword-focused.
Blog title: More user-facing, designed to attract clicks and engagement. Can be longer and more creative.
What is the difference between SEO title and blog title?
Yes, blog titles affect SEO by influencing click-through rate (CTR) and relevance to search engines. Search engines use the title to understand your content and rank it accordingly.