Google has made it very clear that UA4 won’t be a tool for stat analysis anymore. Yes, July 1, 2023, is the date when only GA4 would be an official tool for analysis. Several giants have already started migration from UA to GA4 in order to get accustomed to this too. If you are a business and have not started migration yet, now is the time to do so. Several businesses are in numerous doubts after Google made this announcement. Of course, they have got valid reasons for the same. Will GA4 be as efficient as UA? What about the technical complexities? There are numerous doubts revolving around people’s minds.
What Exactly GA4 Is?
Firstly, let’s get clear on what GA4 is. GA4 is simply an update by Google that makes it easy for businesses to understand and analyze the customer journey. Yes, UA did it too, but in a slightly different way. What UA did was focus on event-based data, while GA4 primarily focuses on session-based data. UA did demand separate properties for a separate class of device, while GA4 demands only a single Google Analytics account for all classes of devices.
Is GA4 Better than UA?
Now, let’s address the elephant in the room. Is GA4 really better than UA? In a word, yes. GA4 is far better than UA, in terms of both, detailed insights and functioning efficiency. As you know, UA had two metrics: Total & New Users. On the other hand, GA4 comes with three metrics: Total, New & Active users. The introduction of this third metric implies a bit more detailed insights as compared to UA. UA used different properties for every class of device, while GA4 displays everything in a single property. Just a single Google Analytics account and you are all set to get detailed insights about the customer’s purchase journey. The only point where GA4 lags a bit at the current point is that it doesn’t support filters yet. UA did support filters that allowed a business to be more specific. However, GA4 will easily incorporate these filters in no time, which would overcome this drawback for the platform.
GA4 Migration Checklist: Things to Take Care Of
Well, there are several things that you need to nail to ensure that your migration from UA to GA4 is smooth. Our experts have prepared a small GA4 migration checklist below. Do check it out and ensure that you don’t miss out on anything.
- Know Every Aspect of UA: First things first! Whenever you are going to implement something new, you need to be clear of the existing system once. It actually helps you know the new platform perfectly. Hence, make sure that you audit your UA account well, and that you know every aspect, or say every stat displayed on this platform well. You must know that UA comes with several configurations, and you must know each of them to ensure that your journey from UA to GA4 is smooth.
- Plan GA4 Structure Well: Next, you need to plan your GA4 structure well to ensure that the structural mess stays away. You still have some time to figure out the ideal structure before you migrate to GA4 fully. Hence, make sure to use it efficiently. Rest, you also need to decide and manage user permission on GA4 to keep all sorts of unauthorized access away. The UA research will help you a lot here, as the learnings from there can be implemented here to keep the structure clean and secure.
- Data to Migrate: On UA, you will find several events that aren’t useful and aren’t really required to be migrated. You can skip them, and migrate only relevant and useful data to ensure that unnecessary events don’t degrade the look of your GA4 account. For instance, if you are a Digital Marketing firm, you might want to migrate the events that help you to get blog topic ideas, while you might skip something that is related to coding on a platform like Java. Well, this is just a small example, but online marketing being such a huge domain, you will get plenty of events that aren’t simply relevant to your business.
- Setting Up the Parameters: Here, you need to be clear with the scope of both, UA and GA4. You need to understand that both of these platforms come with different scopes. For instance, UA had four scopes, while GA4 deals with only two options, event-scoped, and user-scoped. It’s necessary that you go through the guidelines of Google Analytics before you entirely migrate to GA4. As mentioned, you still have a considerable time to understand the platform and make sure that you use it well.
- Implementation & Tracking: After you are done with the setup, and after you have understood the platform well, it’s time to start implementing your strategies with GA4 and keep on tracking the results using Google Analytics. The more you track, the more you will recognize the scope of improvement, and the easier it will be for you to strategize your campaign. Yes, it would give you some trouble and confusion when you try to understand the GA4 platform. But, with the efficiency the platform comes alongside, understanding the same is absolutely worth it. Once you migrate entirely into GA4, you will find that several things got easier for you. It will eventually help your business to thrive and ensure that you get a step closer to success without any serious efforts.
Well, when there’s no other option, understanding GA4 efficiently before migration is an important thing for you. Yes, it might challenge you a bit, but keeping the above checklist in your mind and nailing every factor included in the same would make things easy for you considerably.
With GA4, it’s just about being a bit patient, and you absolutely won’t face any troubles using the platform. However, if you are a Digital Marketing agency and looking for professionals who can help you with nailing the GA4 migration checklist, you need not look further than us.
Be it getting the blog topic ideas from GA4, or executing the planned SEO strategy with perfection, you can count on us to do the job right. Connect with us now, let us understand your business, and allow us to help with the efficient migration from UA to GA4.